Frequently Asked Questions

The Application Process

  • Do I have to accept admission to Cal State Fullerton before I apply for housing?

    Yes! Please allow 2-3 business days after you accept admission and pay your $250 enrollment deposit before you access our online Housing Application Portal.

  • Will I be required to pay an Initial Housing Payment?

    Yes! You will be prompted to submit a $350 Housing Initial payment after you've completed the electronic License Agreement and waiver packet. If you are a new first-time freshman and have an Expected Family Contribution of zero (EFC = 0) or an Athletics waiver, your Housing Initial payment requirement may be deferred. This defferal is granted by the Financial Aid Office. The Housing Initial payment is refundable, minus a $50 service fee, for students who cancel their application and License Agreement before the listed cancellation deadline.
    This Housing Initial payment is not a security deposit - it will be applied towards the first installment payment due before Move-In Day in August.

  • Are freshmen guaranteed housing?

    Spaces are limited, so we can't guarantee housing to all first-time freshmen. Our Residence Hall-style housing is designated specifically for freshmen, where we have space for approximately 1,062 students. Our Apartment-style housing is generally reserved for continuing and transfer students.

  • How do I apply?

    Our application process is entirely online through the Housing Portal. Your go-to place with step-by-step instructions is our How to Apply for Housing page.

The License Agreement

  • How long is my lease?

    The Student Housing License Agreement is a legal and binding agreement for the entire academic year, meaning a full 9 months from Move-In Day in August to the last day of Move-Out in May.

  • Can I stay in my room during Winter Break?

    The Residence Halls close and residents must vacate for Winter Recess by 10 p.m. on the Friday of Finals Week and may not return to their rooms until the buildings re-open at 9 a.m. on the Thursday before the Spring Semester starts in January.
    The Apartments remain open during Winter Recess and residents living in the apartments may come and go as they please.

  • Where can I find a sample copy of the Student Housing License Agreement?

    You can access a copy of your signed License Agreement in your CSUF Student Housing Portal, or you can view a blank sample herePDF File .

  • Can I cancel my License Agreement before I move in?

    See our How to Apply for Housing page for information about cancelling an application or license agreement.

  • Can I cancel my License Agreement after I move in?

    After Move-In Day in August, Student Housing License Agreement cancellation requests will only be considered if you meet the criteria outlined in section VII of the Student Housing License Agreement. Cancellations after the start of the license period are made at the sole discretion of Housing and Residential Engagement. Requests for cancellation must be submitted as written notice to the University using this form.

Payment Information and Financial Aid

  • How much does it cost to live on campus?

    You can find this current year's Room and Board rates and payment installment schedule under information for Future Residents.

  • Does my Financial Aid pay for housing?

    If you have anticipated financial aid award for the academic year, any remaining funds (after paying your University Tuition and Fees) will be applied toward your housing fees. Please note: you must have sufficient financial aid award posted on your student account to cover your first installment. If your financial aid award is still pending, you must pay your first installment payment before Move-In Day in August.

  • What if I cannot pay an installment payment by the due date?

    Your account will be automatically charged with a $30 late fee for each installment payment not received before the due date.

  • Do I have to pay my housing fees all at once, or monthly?

    Although Room and Board is billed once per semester, it's broken down into installment payments due 3 times per semester, in the first 3 months (August, September, October for Fall Semester and January, February, March in Spring Semester). Residents are able to pay the entire cost at once per semester, if they so desire.

  • How do I make payments?

    You can pay online through your Student Portal or in person at the Student Business Services office. Check out our How to Make Payments page for detailed instructions.

Room and Roommate Assignments

  • How many people live in the residence halls and apartments?

    Double Apartments: Six people reside in each three-bedroom apartment - two per bedroom.
    Single Apartments: Four people occupy each four-bedroom apartment - one per bedroom.
    Residence Halls: Standard rooms accomodate two people. Triple-occupancy rooms house three students.

  • How can I get my own bedroom?

    Our only private bedroom option is the Single Apartments, where priority is given to sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students. These spaces are provided based on your choices in the online Student Housing Application and are subject to availability.

  • Are the apartments and residence halls co-ed?

    Almost all apartments and residence hall rooms are single-gender, but entire floors are co-ed. In the residence halls, each set of 4 rooms that share a restoom is single-gender.

  • When will I find out which room I'm in and who my roommate or apartment-mates are?

    Information regarding your final room assignment and roommates will be sent via email during the first week of August.

  • When is Move-In Day and what do I need to know about it?

    Move-In Day is Thursday, August 23, 2018. All students are required to move in on this day. More information about where to go, where to park, what to bring, etc. will be sent out via email in our Move-In Day Resource Guide a few weeks before Move-In.
    Students who want to live on campus but can't move in on Thursday, August 23 should still apply and contact our office to let us know to hold their spot through the the weekend for late move-in.

living on campus

  • Is there a meal plan?

    Yes, all residents are required to choose a meal plan as part of their Student Housing License Agreement. Several options are available - see this page for details.

  • Can I change my meal plan once the semester starts?

    In some circumstances, yes. See this page for details or to request a change.

  • I'm bringing my car; do I need a special parking permit?

    Yes. Students living on campus who purchase a parking permit will automatically receive a Resident Parking Permit with different parking locations than a standard student permit. See Parking and TransportationOpens in new window for details.

  • If I have friends or family visiting, where can they park?

    If your guests are visiting on a weekend, they can park in any standard parking space on campus after Friday at 5 p.m. until Monday at 7 a.m. During the week, guests can either purchase daily permits (see Parking and Transportation for more information), purchase a 1- or 2- hour permit from the machine behind the Housing Office, or park in designated 30-minute parking spots for short visits.

  • Can I change rooms?

    In some situations, yes. Please note that, except in emergency cases, we don't start considering room change requests until after the second week of each semester. To request a room change, fill out the form here. We encourage you to speak with your Resident Advisor or Community Coordinator about the reasons you want to move.

  • Can I have overnight guests?

    Sure! You are welcome to have a friend stay overnight in your room as long as your roommate is comfortable with it. Please note - guests may not stay more than three nights during a two-week period.

  • Is alcohol allowed?

    According to our policies...
    In the Residence Halls,
    alcohol is not permitted under any circumstances as no residents are over the age of 21.
    In the Apartments, students who are at least 21 years old may drink in their own apartment as long as everyone assigned to and present in the apartment is 21 years of age or older.

  • Is smoking allowed?

    As of August 2013, Cal State Fullerton is a smoke- and vapor-free campus, meaning that smoking is prohibited on university property, facilities, grounds, parking structures, private vehicles parked on university grounds, university-owned vehicles and structures owned or leased by the university. This applies to all buildings and outdoor areas of Student Housing.
    Read the full Smoke-Free policy here:

  • Can I bring a pet?

    In some cases, yes! Fish are permitted in bowls or tanks no larger than 5 gallons in volume.
    Service and/or support animals to assist students with disabilities are permitted with approval from Disability Support ServicesOpens in new window and Housing and Residential Engagement. Residents with approved animal accomodations will need to contact our staff to review and sign a separate agreement pertaining to pet care and cleanliness standards after receiving approval from DSS.

  • Who takes care of maintenance and repairs?

    All maintenance and repairs in residence halls, apartments, and public areas are completed by Facilities Operations team. Residents in need of assistance should either fill out a Maintenance Request Form or contact our office for emergencies such as a serious water leak or flooding.

  • Can I get mail and packages delivered here? What's my address?

    Residents are able to have mail and packages delivered to Student Housing to be picked up from our Mailroom. Please use the following mailing address format to make sure our staff can accurately sort your mail:

    Your legal name on file with the University
    Your Building, Room #
    Your building's street address
    Fullerton, CA 92834
    Tuffy Titan
    Holly 162
    1513 E Campus Drive
    Fullerton, CA 92834

    Please be aware that you cannot receive mail of any type, including bills or packages, that do not have your correct name on them. Parents - when you order something online for your student, please make sure you use their name on the package. If an item arrives with a recipient's name who doesn't match any of our residents, we are required by law to return it to sender.
    Use this table to find your building's street address:

     Building Name Building Address Building Name  Building Address
     Pine Hall   1505 E Campus Drive Oak Hall   1537 E Campus Drive
     Holly Hall   1513 E Campus Drive  Manzanita Hall   1541 E Campus Drive
     Juniper Hall   1517 E Campus Drive  Willow Hall   1549 E Campus Drive 
     Fig Hall   1521 E Campus Drive  Cypress Hall   1563 E Campus Drive 
     Birch Hall   1525 E Campus Drive  Valencia Hall   1567 E Campus Drive
     Acacia Hall   1529 E Campus Drive  Sycamore Hall   1571 E Campus Drive
     Elm Hall   1533 E Campus Drive