Your browser does not support javascript execution. Please enable the javascript for a better view.

California State University, Fullerton

Acquiring Social Security Card

General Information

A social security card is no longer issued for the following situations:

  • Obtaining a driver's license — please go to the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) for more information
  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for a credit card account
  • Applying to rent an apartment or home
  • Requesting a permanent student identity number
  • Filing federal or state taxes

To F-1 or J-1 Students and Scholars:

If you are in the United States for the first time, please be sure that your SEVIS record has been activated by an International Student Advisor before seeking employment. If your SEVIS record has not been activated, you may face delays in work eligibility and obtaining a social security number.

For Students In order to activate your SEVIS record, please see an advisor and provide your current U.S. address during walk–in hours.
For Scholars: Please contact Ms. Jeni Lynch , Director of International Programs & Global Engagement to schedule an appointment .

Contact Information: +1 (657) 278-2787 +1 (657) 278-7292

Application Procedure

You must follow these instructions in order to apply for a social security number. Do not begin employment until the following steps are completed:

  1. Obtain a letter from your on-campus or off-campus employer. Click here for on-campus sample letter or off-campus sample letter (PDF)
  2. Submit a letter request (located under forms, Letter type: SSN support letter).
  3. Bring Employer letter to International Students & Scholars Office.
  4. Pick–up from the International Students & Scholars Office two letters: your Employer letter and the SSN support letter from International Programs & Global Engagement.
  5. Bring the following items to the Social Security Office:
    • Employer Letter
    • Social Security Number support letter from International Student Advisor
    • SEVIS I-20 (for F-1 student) or DS-2019 (for J-1 student and scholar)
    • Valid I-94
    • Valid passport

For students on OPT only — Please only bring the following items only during the application procedure:

  • I-20
  • Valid passport
  • Valid I-94
  • EAD

Nearby Social Security Administration Offices

Suite 150 1st Floor
3230 E Imperial Hwy
Brea, CA 92821
Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays – 9:00am to 3:00pm
Wednesdays – 9:00am to 12:00pm

El Monte
9351 Telstar Ave.
El Monte, CA 91731

900 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92805

Los Angeles
University Village
1115 W. Adams Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007

960 W. Mission Blvd.
Pomona, CA 91766

Go to Google Maps

General contact information:
Telephone: (800) 772-1213
Hours: Typically 9:00AM-4:00PM, Monday-Friday
For more information about Social Security Card, please visit

Revised — June 2015

Back to top