Laura Smith Chowdhury
PhD, University of California, Los Angeles
MS, Western Washington University
BS, Western Washington University
Applied Mathematics; Crime Modeling; Complex Networks; Dynamical Systems; Image Processing; Variational Methods; Social Media Modeling; Computational Science
Courses Regularly Taught
Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Computational Linear Algebra, Calculus
- Bichara, D., Iggidr, A. & Smith, L. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology (2018) 80: 1810.
N. Johnson, A. Hitchman, D. Phan, L. Smith (2017). Self-exciting point process models for political conflict forecasting. European Journal of Applied Mathematics, 29(4), 685-707.
- L. Smith, L. Zhu, K. Lerman, and A. Percus (2016). Partitioning networks with node attributes by compressing information flow. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD) 11, 2, Article 15 (November 2016).
- A. Camacho, H. R. L. Lee, L. Smith (2016). Modelling policing strategies for departments with limited resources." European Journal of Applied Mathematics, 27(3), 479-501.
- L. Smith, K. Lerman, C. Garcia-Cardona, A. Percus, R. Ghosh (2013). Spectral clustering with epidemic diffusion. Phys. Rev. E. 88, 042813.
- T. Hogg, K. Lerman, L. Smith (2013). Stochastic models predict user behavior in social media." ASE Human Journal, vol. 2, no. 1.
- T. Hogg, K. Lerman, L. Smith (2013). Stochastic models predict user behavior in social media." In ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing.
- L. Smith, L. Zhu, K. Lerman, Z. Kozareva (2013). The role of social media in the discussion of controversial topics. In ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing.
- L. Smith, A. Bertozzi, P.J. Brantingham, G. Tita, M. Valasik (2012). Adaptation of an ecological territorial model to street gang spatial patterns in Los Angeles. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, vol. 32, no. 9.
- R. Hegemann, L. Smith, A. Barbaro, A. Bertozzi, S. Reid, G. Tita (2011). Geographical influences of an emerging network of gang rivalries. Physica A.
- L. Smith, M. Keegan, T. Wittman, G. Mohler, A. Bertozzi (2010). Improving density estimation by incorporating spatial information. EURASIP J. on Advances on Signal Processing. Article ID 265631, Vol. 2010.
A. Bertozzi, L. Smith, M. Keegan, T. Wittman, and G. Mohler. Systems and Methods for Data Fusion Mapping Estimation. US Patent No. US 8,938,115 B2. Accepted 01/20/2015.
I am an applied mathematician with many interests. My research areas include crime modeling, agent-based models, complex networks, dynamical systems, image processing, density estimation, variational methods, partial differential equations, hot-spot mapping, social media analysis and modeling, data fusion, computational science, and graph theory.