Frequently Asked Questions

What are the basic requirements for admission for transfer students?

To be admissible to the CSU, students need to complete at least 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units of college coursework with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher, including the four basic subjects (or “Golden Four”): written communication, oral communication, critical thinking and quantitative reasoning/mathematics. The 60 semester (90 quarter) units must include at least 30 semester (45 quarter) units of approved general education coursework (either IGETC or CSU General Education pattern) with a minimum of “C” or higher grade and students must be in good standing at the last college or university attended.
California community colleges and the California State University system have articulation agreements which are available the ASSIST websiteOpens in new window .

What are the “Golden Four” requirements?

The CSU general education requirements (“Golden Four”) are designated as the following:

  • Oral Communication
  • Written Communication
  • Critical Thinking
  • Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning

For approved courses at California community colleges, please visit the ASSIST websiteOpens in new window .

When do the “Golden Four” requirements need to be completed?

For students planning to transfer to Cal State University, Fullerton, all of the “Golden Four” requirements must be completed no later than the following terms:

Fall Admission: Transfer applicants applying for the FALL Term must complete the “Golden Four” courses no later than the end of the Spring term.

Spring Admission: Transfer applicants applying for the SPRING Term must complete the "Golden Four" courses no later than the end of the Summer term.

What general education courses are required for transfer students?

For admission to Cal State Fullerton, transfer students must complete at least 30 transferable units with a “C” or higher grade, including all of the “Golden Four” requirements. 

For graduation from the University, students must complete the following requirements (many of which may have been fulfilled prior to transfer), including at least 9 units of upper-division courses.  Specific requirements are provided on each student’s degree audit (the Titan Degree Audit), which provides a complete list of all courses which have been accepted from previous colleges and universities and those which still need to be fulfilled at Cal State Fullerton.  Advisors are available to assist students with their degree requirements for both major and general education coursework. 

  • Area A – English Language Communication and Critical Thinking (9 units)
  • Area B – Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning (12 units)
  • Area C – Arts and Humanities (12 units)
  • Area D – Social Sciences (12-15 units)
  • Area E – Lifelong Learning and Self Development (3)

What is general education certification?

General education certification is a process by which California community colleges provide documentation to the CSU that students have fulfilled all or partial areas of either the CSU General Education pattern or the IGETC GE agreement.  When students have GE certification, the CSU has an agreement that the University will not require any additional lower division General Education requirements for graduation (except for the U.S. History/American Institutions requirement).

Will I need to take general education courses at Cal State Fullerton?

All California State University students are required to complete a minimum of 9 upper division units at the University.  Please see your Titan Degree Audit (if you have been admitted to CSUF) or visit our Academic Advisement Center’s websiteOpens in new window for more information about our University’s General Education requirements.

What classes will I need to complete for my major?

Our degree requirements are available at our online catalogOpens in new window To see which courses you may complete at a California community college before transferring to our campus, please see our articulation agreementsOpens in new window .

What grade point average will I need to transfer to Cal State Fullerton?

Cal State Fullerton is an impacted campus. Our GPA for each term is determined after students have applied for admission and depends on the applicant pool and space availability. For more information about campus impaction, please visit our Admissions websiteOpens in new window .

How can I find out how my community college’s courses transfer to CSUF?

Articulation agreements between California community colleges and Cal State Fullerton are available ASSIST website.

Where can I go for help?

If you need assistance transferring to Cal State Fullerton, please see a counselor at your community college and/or contact our Cal State Fullerton Transfer Center.  To contact our CSUF Transfer Center, you may call us at (657) 278-3358 or email us at We are located in Titan Hall 1203.