Applying to be a Scholar
More About the Application Process
Looking for the Application? The President's Scholars Application is part of the "Honors & Scholars Program Online Application". There are several programs which use this application, click on the names of them to learn more about these programs. Make sure you follow the directions below to ensure you are applying for the programs you are interested in.
Where is the Application?
You can access the application through your student portal by clicking on this link, or by navigating through this tutorial.
- Go to http://www.fullerton.edu, Click on “Students” to log in.Type in your username and password, click “Login”. Click on need help or first time if you need assistance.
- Once in your portal, search on the left for scholarships and click on the app. This will take you to the University Scholarship Portal.
- Click on “Open Scholarship Application” to get started with your application.
- In Scholarship Portal there are multiple active applications. Click on the "Start Application" button in the Honors and Scholars Programs section.
- Download the step by step guide here .
What does a candidate need to do?
The duties of the candidate are very straightforward and streamlined, there are only two actions required of them:
- Complete the online application; this covers academic achievement, community service, extracurricular activities, leadership roles, an essay, and contact information of your recommender
- Ensure you are sharing about your unique background and experiences. The committee wants to learn about you and see how you might fit with this diverse group.
- Attend an in-person interview; if the candidate passes the application review, a time and date will be scheduled for the candidate to be interviewed by a 20-person committee comprised of faculty, staff, President's Scholars alumni, and current President's Scholars
Please note the following:
- DEADLINES - The Honors & Scholars Program Application is a joint application so it is important that you note that there are different application deadlines, but we can only list one on the portal. The President’s Scholars Deadline is February, 22nd. The other programs will have rolling deadlines starting with March 2nd.
- PROGRAM CHOICES - Make sure to answer yes to the programs you are interested in. This will activate specific additional questions or essays that you will need to complete.
- APPLICATION SUBMISSION - We can only review your application once you have completed the whole application, entered your essay, added recommenders, and clicked submit.
- RECOMMENDERS – Your recommenders only get notified when you click submit. You may want to consider submitting your application before the deadline so your recommender has time to complete their part.
How is a candidate evaluated?
Our program incorporates an intensive, three-step process to thoroughly evaluate candidates. This process has been consistently reviewed and refined over our program’s 30-year history and continually provides a holistic view of President’s Scholar candidates. The three distinct components used to assess the candidate are as follows:
- Inital Review - Standardized test scores and Weighted Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Application Review - Application, essay, and recommendations content reviewed and scored by selection committee
- In-person interview- Selected applications are invited to an in-person interview with the selection committee. Students responses and performance will be evaluated and scored.
The application may request information that may not be disclosed to committee members to allow for an equal opportunity. Though demographic information is collected, it is not made available to our reviewers at any time.
For many scholars, the screening process itself exemplifies the dedication President’s Scholars receive from the campus. Embedded in excellence and focused on creating opportunities, our program thrives because we continue to support the best of the best. Accomplishing our goal begins with selecting the right scholars – and year after year, we do.
During each round of the selection cycle students' scores are reset to allow for consistancy and equality. Award Offers Made to Top Ranked Applicants after interviews. Students will have a minimum of one week to make a decision.