Student Affairs Mission Statement
Student Affairs enhances and supports the academic mission of
the University. The Student Affairs mission encompasses the dual
paradigms of student development and student services and includes
building alliances between the classroom and other aspects of
campus life. As a partner in the educational enterprise, Student
Affairs contributes to the comprehensive educational experience
of students. Through myriad services, programs and activities,
the intellectual, vocational, personal, social and cultural development
of all students is encouraged. Through these programs and services,
students are assisted in acquiring the knowledge, skills and insights
that facilitate life-long learning, a sense of personal and interpersonal
competence and human understanding.
As a resource for students, administration, faculty, staff, alumni
and the broader community, Student Affairs provides a wide variety
of university services. These services meet the needs of students
as they progress through their college experience and also include
problem solving, research assistance and consultation. With a
diverse and comprehensive set of responsibilities, Student Affairs
contributes to the campus community a special perspective about
students, their experience, and the campus environment.
Student Affairs Services to Students and Campus Community
- Assist students in the successful transition to college.
- Encourage development of positive interaction among students
and a sense of community within the institution.
- Design opportunities for leadership development.
- Provide opportunities for recreation and leisure time activities.
- Help students clarify career objectives, explore options for
further study, and secure employment.
- Create opportunities for students to expand their aesthetic
and cultural appreciation.
- Provide services that support the educational, career, social
and recreational objectives of students with disabilities.
- Provide medical care for all registered students.
- Provide personal and educational counseling services to students.
- Ensure the orderly and efficient administration of residence
life and provide a living environment for students that is safe,
clean, and well maintained.
- Provide a variety of academic support services to students
(e.g., tutoring, mentoring, developmental courses).
- Provide student testing services.
- Facilitate the opportunity for participation in student clubs
- Provide special services to meet the needs of international
- Conduct research, provide and interpret information about
students during the development and modification of institutional
policies, services, and practices.
- Assume leadership for the institutionís response to student
- Serve as a resource to other members of the University Community
in their work with individual students and student groups.
- Encourage faculty-student interaction in programs and activities.
- Advocate and help create ethnically diverse and culturally
rich environments for students.
- Support and advance institutional values by developing and
enforcing behavioral standards for students.
- Advocate student participation in institutional governance.
- Plan, conduct, and evaluate outreach and recruitment activities
to help ensure that institutional enrollment objectives are
- Provide leadership in university-wide enrollment management
- Provide effective and judicious management of Student Affairs
- Encourage students to study abroad through promotion and advisement
- Provide financial assistance to students who, without such
assistance, would not be able to meet their degree objectives.