Advisor Resources

Faculty and Staff advisors are integral to ensure the success of our student leaders and our 350+ registered student organizations. This webpage provides advisors with helpful information to help navigate their role as an advisor.  

In addition, the Office of Student Life & Leadership staff can consult with advisors and student organization leaders on any issues, including: 


 Event Planning 101

Reserving a venue for registered student organizations (RSOs) is as simple as 1-2-3!

  1. Request to a venue space via TitanLink (visit: Creating an Event in TitanLinkPDF File Opens in new window )
    1. Visit your organization's TitanLink page
    2. Click on the "create event" button within your organization's TitanLink page. Remember only presidents, treasurers, and event planners can create events in TitanLink. To make a member an event planner, please visit: Adding a Member as a Event PlannerPDF File Opens in new window .
    3. Submit your event information
    4. Request(s) will be reviewed by Student Life & Leadership or the appropriate office and will be evaluated 
    5. Student Life & Leadership directly oversees the reservations for outdoors venues (ie, TitanWalk, Tuffy Lawn) and we should respond within 3 days. Student Life & Leadership serves as a liaison for classrooms, athletic spaces, and KHS rooms.
    6. A potential referral to the Campus Activities Committee may result for large-scale or special events
  2. Receive Approval or Denial via TitanLink
  3. Publicize Event
    1. This is automatic within TitanLink when the event is approved.


Additional Tips for Event Planning

Consider the following when planning an event:

  • Time of Day & Time of Year
  • Budget/Funding
  • Estimated Attendance (to consider appropriate spaces) and population(s)
  • Indoor vs. Outdoor
  • Equipment, Catering, Decorations
  • Description & Purpose
  • Types of Marketing
  • Evaluation: How will you know if your program is good or bad?  How will you measure success?

Campus Activities Committee Advisement: The Campus Activities Committee is a advisory committee comrpised of multiple campus stakeholders to assist RSOs with the implementation of their events, typically large-scale or special events.  Stakeholders include: Athletics, Associated Students, Inc., Environmental Health & Safety, Events & Facilities Use Planning, Facilities Operations, Housing & Residence Life, Parking & Transportation, Risk Management, Student Life & Leadership, Student Recreation Center, University Conference Center, University Police.



Funding for registered campus organizations (RSOs) is provided by the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI).  Below are two methods to obtain funds.

Funding Councils Funded Councils
Funding Councils receive allocation of ASI money to support student conference travel and other programs.  RSOs must request to receive these funds from the council.  Each council has a process for membership and requesting funds. Funded Councils utilize funding from ASI to host open events that support the community.  Individual RSOs are unable to receive money for support of programs.
  • Association for Intercultural Awareness
  • College-based Inter-Club Councils
  • Sports Club Inter-Club Council
  • Community Service Inter-Club Council
  • Black Student Union
  • Mesa Cooperativa
  • Resident Student Association
  • Interfraternity Council
  • Multicultural Greek Council
  • National Pan-Hellenic Council
  • Panhellenic Council

RSOs are eligible to go directly to the ASI to request funds, but are highly encouraged to find support through a council first.

Policies for ASI Funding can be found via the ASI Financial PoliciesOpens in new window .


 Risk Management

Advisors are important stakeholders to initiate discussions about risk management for registered student organization (RSO) events.  there are many methods to support student organizations around risk management.  Below are a few common questions regarding risk management and RSOs. 

What should I do if my organization is planning a medium/high risk event?

  • Events may be considered medium/high risk if the event involves risks of injury, damage to property, or is physical in nature.
  • Medium/High Risk events taking place on campus should be reviewed by the Campus Activities Committee.  This Committee is responsible for providing guidance to student organizations for on-campus events that require risk management.  
  • When in doubt, please ask your members to sign a "Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk FormPDF File Opens in new window ".  This form is the standard University Release of Liability Form and should be stored by the student organization for at least three years

Can organizations host events with food?

  • When having food for an event within an indoor space (ie, Titan Student Union or classrooms), students can bring food items from restaurants, pot-luck style items, etc.  It is important to remember there is a different between catering an event and bringing food. If you caterer is being used (ie, a vendor serving your guest food at your event), then only approved caterers for the venue locations and the University can be used (see: Pre-Approved Catering ListPDF File Opens in new window ).
  • If selling or giving away food, you must obtain approval from Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) done through TitanLink. EH&S may reach out to a RSO via their TitanLink event request. More details can be found on the Environmental Health & Safety FoodOpens in new window  website.
  • Online training is available for Food Handling during events.
  • Safe Food Handling Practices always recommended (private or public).


 Helpful Links for Advisors


  • ASI Financial Handbook