Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step toward getting federal aid for college, career school, or graduate school. They provide more than $150 billion in grants, loans, and work-study funds each year, but you have to complete the FAFSA to see if you can get any of that money. Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick.
The FAFSA should be completed for each academic year the student will be attending college. New applications are released in October for the upcoming academic year (Fall & Spring). It is recommended that CSUF students file their FAFSA electronically by the March 2nd priority filing date.
CSUF School Code: 001137
For Additional Help with your CDA/FAFSA application, visit our YouTube Channel. CSUF Office of Financial Aid YouTube Channel
In order to file a FAFSA application , you must:
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent,
- Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen (Information for non-citizens )
- Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- Be register with Selective Service , if you are a male between ages 18-26
Am I Dependent oR Independent?
Knowing your dependency status can help you when you are going to fill out your financial aid application.
- If you're a dependent student, you will report yours and your parent's information.
- If you're and independent student, you will report your information (and, if you're married your spouse's information as well).
Watch the video below to determine whether you're a dependent or independent student.