Student Housing Application Process
The 2023-2024 Student Housing Application will open at 10 a.m. (for Continuing Students) and 2 p.m. (for Incoming Students) on Wednesday, April 5, 2023. Students can start their Student Housing Application on the CSUF Student Housing Portal.
Please watch this video to learn about our 2023-2024 Housing application
Incoming Students: You must accept your Cal State Fullerton admission offer and pay the $250 enrollment deposit with the University before applying for student housing. After you complete this process, you may need to wait up to four (4) business days before our system will recognize you as a student. If you're not able to log into the Student Housing Portal, we don't have your information in our system yet and you'll need to wait another business day. Contact our office if this continues for more than four (4) days.
You will use your Cal State Fullerton username and password in order to login to the online Housing Portal. See below for details regarding the application process.
Looking for housing for Summer 2023? More information is available on this page.
for all students applying for student housing:
- Explore our website to learn more about our housing options and theme communities.
- Thoroughly read the following once they become available:
- 2023-2024 Sample Student Housing License Agreement and related Waivers and Releases
- Student Housing Policies
- Proposed Room and Board Rates
- Payment Installment Schedule
- Set up your CSUF student email. Begin checking this account regularly once you've been admitted. You will receive corresondence from the Housing and Residential Engagement Office only at this email address. For more information, please visit the Student Registration website .
- Accept your admission and pay your $250 Enrollment Deposit, if required. You won't be able to access the Student Housing Portal until you've accepted admission.
- Wait 2–3 business days after accepting admission, then use the button above to try to log into the Student Housing Portal. If you're able to log in successfully, you're ready to apply once the application opens. If you can't log in after a full 4 days, reach out to us for help.
- Emergency Contact Information: You will be asked to supply emergency contact information which includes name, telephone, and email addresses.
- Room Type Preference: Visit our page about building and room types and decide which style best fits your need.
- Meal Plan Choice: Visit our dining services page to help decide which of our three meal plans is best for you.
- Theme Community Preference: For more information, please read our page about theme communities . Please note that these are preferences only and are not guaranteed. Eligibility is based on available space and other criteria that vary by theme community.
- Meningococcal Disease and Vaccine Information: You will be asked to report some information about your vaccination history.
- GradGuard Renters' Insurance : We highly recommend that students consider Renters' Insurance to protect their belongings. This insurance is optional. During the application process, you'll have the option to automatically provide your information to GradGuard if you're interested.
Student Housing Application Fee:
All students applying to live on-campus will pay a nonrefundable $50 Application Fee in order to submit an application. This fee cannot be waived or deferred. Our system will have you pay through Student Business Services' secure payment portal.
Please note: The Application Fee cannot be paid by Financial Aid or Scholarships.
Meal Plan Changes:
Students with an application in-progress who want to change their meal plan choice may do so by returning to that page of the application and simply changing their choice. After Move-In Day, meal plan changes must be requested using our Meal Plan Change Request form, which will become available later in the year.
Cancelling an Application:
Students are able to cancel their in-progress application for student housing. To cancel an application, students should log into the CSUF Student Housing Portal, open their in-progress Student Housing Application, and find the section about cancelling at the bottom of the Application Overview page. That page will show further instructions about the cancellation process, based on the current date and other circumstances.
Our $50 Application Fee is nonrefundable, even if an application or license agreement is cancelled.
After being confirmed for a space, students may request to be released from their Student Housing License Agreement by following the same instructions. Requests will be considered at the sole discretion of the University.
The Student Housing Application
New Students: You must accept your Cal State Fullerton admission offer and pay the $250 enrollment deposit before applying for student housing. After you complete this process, you may need to wait up to four (4) business days before our system will recognize you as a student. If you're not able to log into the Student Housing Portal, we don't have your information in our system yet and you'll need to wait another business day. Contact our office if this continues for more than four (4) days.
Using your Cal State Fullerton student portal username and password, use the button below to access the CSUF Student Housing Portal and choose Student Housing Applications from the menu bar. Choose Academic Year 2023-2024 once it becomes available, and follow the instructions from there.
Your student housing application is built uniquely for you, and much of the content on each page of the application will change based on a variety of different factors. Do your best to follow the instructions on each page, and please feel free to reach out to our office for help if you get stuck.
After you start an application, you'll be taken to your Application Overview, which serves as the home page of your application and shows you what you need to do in order to submit your application. Steps marked with a red ⭕ circle indicate that action is required from you, and will be marked with a ✅ check mark once they're complete.
The following pages will appear on the Application Overview for all students to complete:
- Personal Information: This is where we'll ask you about your preferred name, cell phone number, emergency contact information, and any medical or dietary needs you might have. If you've applied with us before, we'll carry this information over from your last application, but you'll need to review it to make sure it's still accurate.
- Meal Plan: This is where you'll choose your meal plan. See "Meal Plan Changes" above for more information.
- Roommate Profile: This is where you'll read more about our room assignment process and answer some questions about yourself as a potential roommate. All students living on-campus have some sort of roommate or apartment-mate, and none of our options are completely private. Answer this section as truthfully as possible to ensure that you can be successful with your roommate. Again, if you've applied with us before, we'll carry this information over from your previous application.
- Theme Community Preferences: This is where you'll read about our theme community options and answer some questions about which you'd prefer.
- Financial Literacy: New to our application process this year, our Financial Literacy module in the housing application is designed to help students build a strong understanding of the financial obligation of living on-campus. This section will explain how Room and Board charges work, including information about Financial Aid, scholarships, and student loans.
- Additional Information and Resources: This section contains extra resources that all students should consider in order to have the most successful experience living on-campus, but they aren't required to submit an application.
Submitting an Application
After you complete all necessary steps, including paying your $50 Application Fee, you'll see an option to submit your completed application at the top of your Application Overview. At that point, your application is submitted and will be considered for placement.
Roommates and Room Selection
Optional Roommate Selection will open Monday, April 10 (closing at 11:55 p.m. on Monday, April 24), students can request specific roommates on their application. These requests are subject to availability and don't guarantee that you'll be placed together.
Starting on June 1, we'll start inviting selected students with completed applications to choose their own beds via the student housing portal. While choosing rooms, you'll be able to view the Roommate Profiles of any other students who've selected the same room, suite, or apartment.
After June 21, students will no longer be invited to choose their own spaces. Instead, our team will review our remaining spaces and send invididual offers to students for specific rooms as quickly as we can.
If students don't select a room during their room selection window or don't accept an offer we send them before its deadline, we'll put those applications on hold to be considered for later offers. If your application is put on hold, you'll be notified and can reactivate it via your Student Housing Portal.
Once you either select a space yourself or choose to accept your offer, you'll be prompted to sign the Student Housing License Agreement and our other Waivers and Releases. If you don't complete these steps, we'll revert your room reservation and place your application on hold.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5, 2023Student Housing Applications for Academic Year 2023-2024 become available on the CSUF Student Housing Portal. The application will open at 10 a.m. (for returning students) and 2 p.m. (for incoming students). Students can login at any time after that point.
❗ If you see an error message when you log in, our portal may be operating beyond its capacity and you should wait about an hour before trying to log in again. This won't affect any part of your application, and you do not need to contact our office for assistance.
monday, April 10, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.Roommate Selection Opens. You are able to request a specific apartment-mate or roommate for your Student Housing Application.
monday, April 24, 2023 at 11:55 p.m.Deadline to request a specific apartment-mate or roommate for your Student Housing Application. After this date, we won't be able to consider any kind of roommate requests.
June 2023: Room SelectionOur office will review completed applications and begin sending invitations for students to participate in room selection. More information and instructions will be available on the Student Housing Portal.
How will it WorkIf you're selected for room selection, you will receive an email inviting you to participate in room selection a few days before each round.
During the room selection process, you will have a week to see a floorplan of the spaces you are eligible for.
If an available room is empty, you can be the first person to fill it. If it's occupied with another person but still has a space open, you can select it and review you compatibility with a potential roommate.
After June 21, 2023 and throughout the ACADEMIC yearWe'll send individual offers for specific spaces in student housing to students who match the criteria for those spaces. Students will have a limited amount of time to accept their offer before it expires and places their application into a hold state.
Early July 2023Room and Board Charges will appear for students with confirmed room reservations.
July 17, 2023 at 11:59 PMLast day for students with confirmed room reservations to cancel their room reservations without a request. After this date, students with room reservations will need to request to be released from their space and their financial obligation. Our office will approve these requests at our sole discretion if we're able to find a replacement for your space.
Students who remain on our waiting list at this point (meaning, not assigned to a space) maintain the ability to cancel their application without any special request through their Student Housing Portal.
This is also the last day for students to change their meal plan on their housing application. If a student wants to change their meal plan after this date they must use the meal plan change request form which will be reviewed by our staff and is not guaranteed to be approved.
Friday, August 11, 2023First Housing Installment Payment due in your CSUF Student Portal. See our payment installment schedule for more information.
Thursday and Friday, August 17 and 18, 2023Opening Days! Students with confirmed reservations will be sent check-in instructions during the first week of August with more information. Students will arrive on either Thursday or Friday, August 17 and 18. Please check out our Opening Days Resource Guide !