Reporting Options

The University's primary concern is the safety of its campus community members.

The use of alcohol or drugs never makes a person at fault for sexual violence. Moreover, members of the CSUF community should not be deterred from reporting incidents of sexual violence out of a concern that they might be disciplined for related violations of drug, alcohol, or other University policies.  No complainant or witness in related investigations or proceedings will be subject to disciplinary sanctions by the University for related violations of conduct policies occurring at or near the time of the incident unless the University determines the violation was egregious, including but not limited to plagiarism, cheating, academic dishonesty or conduct that places the health and safety of any other person at risk.

Where and How to report

For those that have experienced sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking and/or related retaliation, there are several reporting options available.  Depending on the nature of the incident, some many choose to report to multiple entities.

Administrative - Title IX and Gender Equity

You may report to the Campus Title IX Coordinator, who will provide you with written and verbal information regarding applicable University complaint procedures for investigating and addressing the incident(s). The Title IX Coordinator will also provide you with information regarding resources available to you, as well as information regarding your rights and options. Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator is listed above.

The Campus Title IX Coordinator will also discuss with you any reasonable Supportive Measures the University may offer prior to conclusion of an investigation or potential disciplinary action to reduce or eliminate negative impact on you and provide you with available assistance. Examples include: adjustment to work assignments, course schedules or supervisory reporting relationship; requiring the Respondent to move from University-owned or affiliated housing; immediately prohibiting the Respondent from coming to the University; or prohibiting the Respondent from contacting the parties involved in the reported incident. These options may be available to you whether or not you choose to report the incident to Campus police or law enforcement. The Title IX Coordinator remains available to assist you and provide you with reasonable remedies requested by you throughout the reporting, investigative, and disciplinary processes, and thereafter.

If it is determined that University policy was violated, the Respondent will be subject to discipline, up to and including dismissal from University employment or expulsion from the University. You are entitled to be accompanied to any related meeting or proceeding by an advisor of your choice, including a Confidential Advocate or domestic violence counselor. However, if you do not wish to participate in an investigation or hearing process, you have the right to decline to do so.

To the extent possible, information reported to the Title IX Coordinator or other University employee will be shared only with individuals responsible for handling the University’s response to the incident. The University will protect the privacy of individuals involved except as otherwise required by law or University policy. A report may result in the gathering of extremely sensitive information about you and other individuals in the campus community. While such information is considered confidential, University policy regarding access to public records and disclosure of personal information may require disclosure of certain information concerning a reported incident. In such cases, efforts will be made to redact the records, as appropriate, in order to protect your identity and privacy and the privacy of other involved individuals. 


Reporting to University Police and/or local law enforcement is an option at any time. If you choose not to report to the police immediately following an incident, you can still make the report at a later time. However, with the passage of time, the ability to gather evidence to assist with criminal prosecution may be limited. Depending on the circumstances, the police may be able to obtain a criminal restraining order on your behalf.

Health, Counseling and/or Clergy

You may choose to seek advice and assistance from physicians, psychotherapists, professional counselors, clergy, sexual assault and domestic violence counselors and advocates, including individuals who work or volunteer for them.

Civil Lawsuit

You may choose to file a civil lawsuit against the Respondent, whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil lawsuit provides you the opportunity to recover actual damages, which may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress.

You may also choose to obtain a protective or restraining order (such as a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order). Restraining orders must be obtained from a court in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred. Restraining orders can protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of physical violence, sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, or stalking. University Police and your Campus Title IX Coordinator can offer assistance with obtaining a protective or restraining order.

Confidential Reporting

Visit the Confidential Reporting page for detailed information about options for reporting confidentially.


You are strongly encouraged to report any incidents to the police and/or Campus Title IX Coordinator so that steps may be taken to protect you and the rest of the campus community. However, non-reporting is also an option.