Repetition of Courses Policy
When used strategically, the Repetition of Courses Policy can help to improve your GPA more quickly than taking brand new courses.
Students may repeat a total of 28 units maximum (16 units of Grade Forgiveness and 12 units of Grade Averaging) for courses where a grade of “C-“ or below was earned. A single course may be repeated twice, for a total of 3 attempts maximum.
As of Fall 2016 the application of the repeat policy was automated. At the end of each semester after grades are posted to student records a program is run to apply repeat policy to courses that have been repeated in that semester.
The original and repeated courses must be taken here at CSUF.
Before repeating a course, ask yourself some questions:
- Is successful completion of this course required for my major or GEs?
- Will I be changing my major?
- Will I be more likely to earn a passing grade this time around?
- If I am using Financial Aid, will the tuition for the repeated course be covered?
- Be sure to consult with the Financial Aid department before repeating courses, if you are currently receiving financial aid (University Hall 146, 657-278-3125).