UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT LEARNING GOALS
Through campus-wide collaboration, CSUF developed a set of University-wide Learning Goals (UPS 300.003) in May 2014 that were renamed Undergraduate Student Learning Goals in September 2017.
- Demonstrate intellectual literacy through the acquisition of knowledge and development of competence in disciplinary perspectives and interdisciplinary points of view.
- Think critically, using analytical, qualitative and quantitative reasoning, to apply previously-learned concepts to new situations, complex challenges and everyday problems.
- Communicate clearly, effectively, and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Work effectively as a team member or leader to achieve a broad variety of goals.
- Evaluate the significance of how differing perspectives and trends affect their communities.
- Recognize their roles in an interdependent global community.
General Education Learning Goals
Led by the Senate GE Committee, incorporating feedback from diverse campus constituents, CSUF developed a set of General Education: Programmatic Student Learning Goals and Learning Outcomes (UPS 411.203) in spring 2015. Revisions were made to the GE goals and outcomes in July 2023.
- Demonstrate and apply their understanding of fundamental concepts, methods, and theories in natural sciences and mathematics, arts and humanities, and social sciences.
- Seek and acquire relevant information and apply analytical, qualitative, and quantitative reasoning to previously learned concepts, new situations, complex challenges, and everyday problems.
- Develop ideas and communicate them competently and ethically, verbally or nonverbally, both orally and in writing, in a variety of contexts.
- Develop skills to collaborate effectively and ethically as leaders and team members.
- Develop and apply critical awareness, intercultural skills, and informed appreciation that advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in their immediate and larger communities.
Graduate Student Learning Goals
Led by the Senate Graduate Education Committee, incorporating feedback from diverse campus constituents, CSUF developed a set of Graduate Student Learning Goals (UPS 300.041) in May 2017. Revisions were made to Graduate Student Learning Goals 5 and 6 in May 2023 .
As appropriate to the discipline and the degree program, graduate students should be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions including higher order competence in disciplinary perspectives and interdisciplinary points of view;
- The ability to access, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate complex information from multiple sources and in new situations and settings;
- Advanced communication skills;
- The ability to work independently and in collaboration with others as artists, practitioners, researchers, and/or scholars;
- The ability to determine and apply appropriate methods and technologies to address problems that affect their communities;
- A commitment to social justice and ethical leadership within diverse communities and an interdependent global community.
Student Learning Outcomes by College/Program
Each degree program has its own Student Learning Outcomes, which are aligned with the University Learning Goals. Link to Student Learning Outcomes by College/Program.