Graduate Admissions

Applying to the graduate degree program in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department is a simple 2-step process. A more detailed explanation, including information about admission requirements, transfer credits and thesis requirements can be found in a pdf guidePDF File .


Application Process

Step 1.  Apply online at Cal State Apply and pay the appropriate application fee with credit card.
Step 2.  Send an official transcript from each university or college you have attended after high school.
Transcripts from any community colleges that you may have attended are also required.

Send the transcripts to:

Graduate Admissions Coordinator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Fullerton
P.O. Box 6870
Fullerton, CA 92834-6870


For more details on admission process please visit

Additional Information

  • The department does not need GRE score for admission. Department feels that the GRE exam does not reflect the potential of the student. Hence our evaluation is based on your transcripts.
  • Over the last few years, many students are admitted who hold Bachelors degrees in Business, Chemistry, Computer Science and other non-engineering majors. These students are required to complete deficiency coursesOpens in new window suggested in the graduate program brochure (in some cases even more than that).
  • To inquire about the application status, email ECS Admissions at The phone number is (657) 278 7786.
  • Once you send the documents, ECS admissions office calculates your GPA and sends your file to the department. A typical turnaround time to make an admission decision is about 2-4 weeks.
  • Our graduate program is a minimum 30 unit program (typically 10 courses) and many classes meet once a week from 7 PM-9:45 PM. In some cases a project or a thesis work can be done (with departmental approval) instead of required course work.
  • If a student would like to meet with a faculty member to know more about the graduate program and career opportunities, the student has to call the department office at (657) 278 3012 to schedule an advisement.
  • The Office of Financial Aid works with students who would like to secure funding for completing the graduate program.
  • More detailed information regarding the graduate admissions process can be found on the ECS website.
  • Students must not enroll in courses without proper advisement from the CEE department.