ECS Graduate Admission Information

If yes, please visit international admissions page for more information.

In order to meet the minimum requirements for admission, you must have completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended, and have attained a minimum/cumulative grade point average of 2.50 (4 point system) from your coursework.

Additional GPA Requirement for the ECS Graduate Programs

Minimum GPA of 3.0

If you graduated from a U.S. institution with undergraduate degrees other than engineering or computer science. International applicants -if you graduated with undergraduate degrees from non-ABET accredited international institutions.

Minimum GPA of 2.5

If you graduated from a U.S./international institution with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science. International applicants - if you graduated from ABET accredited international institution with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science.

 (ABET accreditations will be verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office)


Official transcript is required from each university or college you have attended since high school. A transcript for all community college coursework is required even if the transfer credit is reflected on another transcript. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, your transcript must include documentation that you have received the bachelor's degree. If you are currently in the last year of your undergraduate program, your application can be evaluated with only one semester of grades missing. For example, if you are applying for Fall 2016 but will not receive your bachelor's degree until Spring 2016, your transcript must show grades through Fall 2015. You need to wait to send in your transcript until your fall semester grades have been posted otherwise your file is incomplete.


If you have received your degree outside the U.S. then you are required to present the results of an acceptable English test assessment such as the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. You must submit TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores even if you are a US citizen or have been living and working in the United States for many years since you received your degree. The CSUF policy is based on where you attended school, not your citizenship or how long you have been in the United States.

Minimum test scores to be admissible

for our graduate programs


Internet 80/Paper 550





The English test assessment requirement can be waived if you have completed at least 72 college semester units at a majority English-speaking country (U.S., UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and Australia) or graduated from a U.S. institution. You have two options to submit your test score:

  1. You can have your test score sent by the testing service to CSU Fullerton (the school code is 4589).

  2. Submit an official scorecard along with your supporting documents to ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office.


Students who do not meet the minimum TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement may be eligible to enroll in the American Language Program (ALP), where academic English instruction is provided to prepare students to become successful in a university degree program. Advanced students may take one or more university courses for credit. Conditional admission to CSUF through ALP is available for all undergraduate and graduate majors in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. Please visit or email for more information.


The following items are NOT required for admission so PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT.

  • Personal Statements
  • Letter of recommendations
  • High School Transcript
  • Certificates of Accomplishments / Trainings
  • Resumes / Work Experience
  • GRE or GMAT Scores


You much submit an online application and pay the $55 application fee at Cal State Apply. For additional information concerning the $55 application fee, please email Student Financial Services at

An online application and all supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, marksheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/ IETLS /PTE sores) must be received by the ECS Graduate and International Admissions Office by the date below:

Spring 2017 Admission Opens August 1, 2016

Open Majors:
1. Civil Engineering
2. Civil Engineering / Env Eng
3. Computer Engineering

4. Electrical Engineering
5. Mechanical Engineering

* Computer Science is closed
* Applicants applying to the Accelerated MS in Software Engineering , please direct your admission questions and concerns to . The ECS Admissions office does not process AMSE applications.

Application Deadline:
November 4, 2016


Required Documents Deadline:

November 18, 2016

Fall 2017 Admission Opens for
International & Domestic Applicants Starting October 1, 2016

Open Majors:
Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering/ Env Eng
Computer Engineering
Computer Science (Please see message below)
Electrical Engineering
Environmental Engineering (online)
Mechanical Engineering
Software Engineering (online)


Application Deadline:
April 1, 2017


Required Documents Deadline:

April 17, 2017


*Environmental Engineering & Software Engineering Online Programs Application Deadline: July 1, 2017.

All required documents deadline is July 14, 2017





Fall 2017 - Computer Science Applicant

*IMPORTANT- This applies to Computer Science applicants only: The Master of Science in Computer Science is a popular program. Due to the program's popularity and its capacity, graduate applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and complete their application early. The application will be complete only when we receive all of your supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, mark sheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores). 

Application Deadline:

May close on or soon after January 15th, 2017.


Required Documents Deadline:

February 1, 2017


After submitting your application online, please submit all of your supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, marksheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/ IETLS /PTE sores) to the following address:

ECS Admissions
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Fullerton
P.O. Box 6870
Fullerton, CA 92834-6870

*NOTE: Submitting your documents to Admissions & Records or other departments at the university may delay your application process. It is highly advisable to submit your supporting documents directly to the ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office so that your application is properly process in a timely manner.

Early application and supporting documents submission is strongly advised, due to strong demand for programs.


If you wish to check on the status of your application to our graduate program, please e-mail our admission office at Your email must include your first and last name, CWID (Campus Wide ID#), and the name of program that you have applied to.


All graduate students who intend to enroll at CSU Fullerton must accept their offer of admission and pay a non-refundable $250 enrollment deposit. The deposit will offset a portion of your Registration Fees for the first semester. You must accept admission and pay your enrollment deposit through your Student Portal, within the Student Center, beginning February 20, 2016 through July 1, 2016 (the last day). If you are admitted after July 1, you have two weeks from the date you were admitted to accept your offer of admissions. International Students: Your I-20 will not be released until you accept your admission.

*** The July 1 deadline does not apply to you if you are admitted under the Environmental Engineering online MS program or the Software Engineering online MS program; these programs do not have a deadline.


The orientation will take place in August 2016. An e-mail will be sent to newly admitted students with more information. 


1. Can I Attend Part Time?

Yes! Many of our graduate courses are offered in the evening to accommodate working professionals. The Software Engineering and Environmental Engineering programs are offered entirely online and therefore fit anyone’s schedule. International students must maintain their full-time student status.

2. How Long Does It Take To Receive My Master's Degree?
All of the master's programs require 30 units to receive your degree. There are many factors that affect how long it will take to receive your degree; the most important factors are how many courses you plan to take per semester and if you have any deficiency (prerequisite) courses to complete before beginning the required 30 units. The one exception is the Software Engineering program; the program consists of two courses per semester for five semesters (22 months).

3. Can I be Admitted if I don't Have a Bachelor's Degree in the Same Major?
Yes! You can still be admitted if you do not have an academic background in the field you are applying for. You will be assigned deficiency (prerequisite) courses by an advisor in the department. You can take these courses as a master's student at CSUF before beginning the 30 units required for the master's degree. A resume is required to assess your work experience if you are applying to Software Engineering; please send your resume to once you have submitted your application to Software Engineering.

4. Can I Transfer Courses I took at Another University Into the Master's Program?
You can request to apply a limited number of transfer courses towards unit requirements for a master's degree. The maximum number of units that can be transferred to a master's program is nine (9).

5. Can I Take a Class Without Being Admitted to a Master's Program?
Yes! Anyone can enroll in undergraduate and graduate-level classes through Open University. Registration is provided on a space available basis. If a course has prerequisites you must have met the prerequisites in order to be eligible to enroll. If you decide to apply for a master's program at CSUF you may be able to transfer courses taken through Open University. Visit Open University for more information.

Visit the Student Financial Services page for tuition information. The link to "Fee Information" along the top will give you information on Registration Fees (required for all students), Non-Resident Tuition (required for students who are not legal residents of California for residency purposes), and Required Course Fees (Distance Learning Fee required for the MSE program). Students on an F-1 visa must pay Non-Resident Tuition every semester. The MSE program is 6 units per semester; all other graduate programs can be taken on a part-time or full-time basis. Scholarships available to students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science can be found at the Support Services and Resources website. Information about funding specific to graduate students can also be found at the Graduate Studies website.  


More information about graduate admissions and graduate studies can be found at Admissions and Records and Graduate Studies. International applicants can visit the International Studies & Scholars Office website for more information.


Contact Graduate and International Admissions for the College of Engineering and Computer Science at or (657) 278-7786. You may also visit our office in CS 311 (campus map)