Virtual Private Network (VPN) FAQs
What is a Virtual Private Network(VPN)?
For security reasons, off-site computers like laptops and home computers can only connect to a few, basic network resources on campus. A VPN connection is necessary for more advanced connections. Here are some examples of advanced connections someone might use the VPN for:
- Remote desktop connections including access to Host Explorer for SIS+ access
- Access to file shares
- Exchange email clients like Outlook and Entourage
How is the new VPN different from the old one?
The old VPN required installation and configuration of software on the client computer, like VPNGUARD. This means you couldn't use the VPN without these tools. The new VPN only requires a web browser, so you can easily connect to the campus from any computer.
How do I use the VPN?
Open a web browser and go to https://csufvpns.fullerton.edu. After you log into the web page with your campus email account, you will be connected to the SSL VPN web page. From there you can connect to various campus network resources.
Where can I get detailed instructions for using the VPN?
Documentation for PC is available.
Documentation for Mac is available.
Where can I get help with the new VPN?
Give the Helpdesk a call at 278-7777, email us at Helpdesk@fullerton.edu, or visit our office at PLN 220.
What should I do if VPNGUARD pops up on my PC?
VPNGUARD is no longer necessary if you use the new SSL VPN. Make sure you are connecting to the VPN by browsing to https://csufvpns.fullerton.edu , not by clicking a VPN icon on your desktop. Once the SSL VPN is working for you, you can uninstall VPNGUARD in the add/remove programs control panel.
What do I do if I can't see the network connect icon on my Mac?
Contact the Help Desk and we can add you to the Mac user list.
What do I do if I can't use remote desktop on my PC.
Make sure you are connecting using the remote desktop icon in the SSL VPN Web page window. The Remote Desktop Connection icon in the Start Menu is only used with the old VPN.
What do I do if I can't use UNC paths like \\workstation-xp.ad.fullerton.edu\c$ on my PC?
Make sure you are connecting using the file server icon in the SSL VPN web page window. Sending a UNC address via The RUN command is only used with the old VPN.
How do I sign up for the VPN?
On the software request form you can and request VPN for Mac or Windows.
What platforms are supported?
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit: Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0
- Windows XP Pro SP2 64-bit: Internet Explorer 7.0, Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 2.0
- Windows XP Pro SP 1: Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 2.0
- Windows 2000 SP4: Internet Explorer 6.0, Internet Explorer 5.5, Netscape 8.0, Firefox 1.5
- Mac OS X 10.5.0:Safari 3.0
- Mac OS X 10.4.3: Safari 2.0
- Mac OS X 10.3.2: Safari 1.1, Internet Explorer 5.2
- Mac OS X 10.2.8: Safari 1.0
- Mac 9.2: Internet Explorer 5.1.5 and Netscape 4.79
- OpenSUSE Linux 10.1: Firefox 2.0
- Fedora Core 5: Firefox 2.0
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit: Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit: Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0
- Windows Vista Home: Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0
- Windows Vista Home-premium: Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0
- Windows Server 2003: Internet Explorer 6.0
- Windows XP Home Edition: Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 1.5 and greater
- Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002: : IE 6.0
- Windows XP SP1 and SP2: AOL 8.0
- Windows 2000 SP4: Firefox 1.5 and greater.
- Mac OS X 10.2.8: Safari 1.1 and greater
- OpenSUSE Linux 9.3: Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 1.5 and greater
- Red Hat Linux 9.0: Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 1.5 and greater
- Solaris 9: Mozilla 1.4