Proposal Development FAQs

Q: I am an adjunct faculty and lecturer at CSUF and I plan to submit a proposal. Can I serve as Principal Investigator (PI)?

A: Yes, as long as you meet the eligibility requirements of the funding agency. In addition, you will need to secure internal approvals (department chair, college dean and AVP of Research and Sponsored Projects) before moving forward with any proposal submissions. Please see the PI Eligibility Policy on Policies and Guidelines page Opens in new window for more details and to print a copy of the PI approval form.

Q: When should I contact the Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC) if I am interested in submitting a proposal?

A: As PI, you should contact OGC or your college’s Research Grants Specialist (RGS)Opens in new window , if you have one, as soon as you identify a funding opportunity, or a potential sponsor has expressed interest in your project.

Q: As Principal Investigator, am I the applicant and award recipient, or is it Cal State Fullerton (CSUF)?

A: Applications to most external sponsors are submitted under CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) as the applicant. California State University, Fullerton is identified as the “Performing Organization.” In some instances, CSUF must be identified as the applicant, depending on the requirements of a specific program. Please consult with your Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC) coordinatorOpens in new window if you have any questions concerning sponsor guidelines.

Q. Do I need to apply for a DUNS number?

A: No. Applications to external sponsors use the CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation’s (ASC) DUNS number. ASC’s DUNS number is 106670755.

Q. Do I need to register with the Central Contractor Registry (CCR)?

A. No. ASC serves as the “applicant” and has a current registration with CCR.

Q. Where can I find information on the university’s indirect costs? Who can assist me with budget development?

A. Information on the federally negotiated indirect cost (also known as Facilities and Administration costs or F&A) can be found in the Department of Health & Human Services agreementPDF File Opens in new window .

For assistance with budget development, please contact the Office of Grants and Contracts Coordinator or the Research Grants SpecialistOpens in new window assigned to your college.

Q. What documents are required by the university to review, approve and submit a proposal?

A. At the minimum, the following information are required:

  1. A copy of or link to the opportunity guidelines
  2. Completed internal routing form
  3. Project Scope of Work (near final draft is acceptable)
  4. Budget and budget justification

The final documents necessary for a complete submission is required at least three (3) business days prior to proposal submission.

Q. Can I submit the proposal and just send a copy to the Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC)?

A. Generally, No. Only OGC is authorized to submit proposals. However, there are some foundations that require a PI to create an account and submit directly. Such submissions have to be coordinated with OGC.