How Do I Start?
This may be the most time-intensive step in your efforts to fund your research/project. There are various ways to approach finding the right funder; among them:
- Compile a list of federal agencies and programs, as well as smaller foundations and institutes
- Look at the types of projects each agency funds and the size of grants previously awarded; this will help determine how to frame your proposal
- Thoroughly research public- and private-sector sponsors; the better fit the agency is to your project, the more likely you are to get funding
When researching various agencies, consider the following:
- Does your project fit within the agency’s goals and objectives?
- How competitive is this funding opportunity?
- How familiar is CSUF with this agency?
These questions can help you narrow down your list of potential funding agencies. Identifying potential agencies is only the first step; assessing the fit is a majority of the process.