Slack is a collaboration hub that enables real-time communications and connections in a searchable platform for real-time messaging, content sharing, learning, and more. The Division of Information Technology has worked with Slack to create Enterprise accounts for CSUF Slack workspaces and users. The Slack Enterprise Grid connects multiple Slack workspaces and includes built-in compliance and security considerations.
CSUF IT is in the process of migrating existing Slack users to the CSUF Slack Grid. The following information provides Slack administrators with resources the to help them migrate their Slack workspaces to CSUF Slack.
Here is what migrating your workspace into an Enterprise Grid means for you and your team:
- Privacy of core channels within workspace.
- Members of your workspace will be able to send direct messages and share files with anyone in the CSUF organization, even if they are in another workspace.
- Channels can be shared across all workspaces in an organization.
What happens once you approve the migration?
When the upgrade migration happens, you can expect an estimated 15 - 20 minute downtime.
- CSUF IT will update your Slack email address and username to match your CSUF portal username and enable Single Sign On (SSO) for login. You will be signed out of your workspace.
- Once this is complete, the migration will begin. During the migration, your workspace will be unavailable.
- Five minutes before the upgrade, your workspace will receive a Slackbot message reminding you that the upgrade is about to occur. During the upgrade, all data—including public channels, private channels, DM’s and integrations—will be migrated.
- Once the migration is complete, your workspace will be accessible again, all users will need to log back into the workspace. You will need to log in on every device you have Slack installed. Your data will be exactly the same, only now you’ll have access to shared channels and Slack campus wide direct messaging.
What if I have a Slack workspace?
If you are the owner of a Slack workspace that you would like to migrate into the CSUF Slack Enterprise, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we have a limited number of licenses and you may incur a charge.