College International Advisor, Karen Lau

Internation Advisor Karen Lau


contact information

College of Engineering & Computer Science  
Location: CS-206A
Phone: 657.278.2609

ECS International Student Support Services


The College International Advisor provides the following services for ECS International Undergraduate and Graduate Students:

  • Offer support and advising for Cultural Office requests
  • Organize College Events for International Students
  • Provide Graduate Probation advising and workshops
  • Inform students through updates and the ECS International Student Newsletter
  • Connect students with College and Department support services
  • Assist in the navigation of University Policies and Procedures
  • Connect students with the Office of International Student Services (ISS)
  • Guide students to appropriate Campus Resources


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):


Q: My Cultural Office is requesting a Study Plan, Extension Letter, and/or specialized letter from the College. Who can complete these documents for me?

A: Please email the ECS International Advisor your request and include your: a) CWID b) Cultural Office Advisor name and c) the Cultural Office Advisor contact information. Requests are handled in the order they are received and require three business days to complete.


Q: How do I obtain a Verification of Enrollment (VOE) document?

A: Please download the Verification Request FormPDF File , make the fee payment, and submit the completed form to the Office of Registration and Records at


Q: Who can answer questions about my Visa status and/or Form I-20?

A: All visa related inquires may be addressed to the ISS Office. You may also make a virtual appointment to meet with an ISS Advisor.


Q: I have a “Hold” on my registration. Who can remove this?

A: Please visit Titan Online to identify the office placing your Hold as well as the reason for the Hold. (If the Hold is from the ISS office, you may make an appointment to meet with an ISS Advisor to discuss the status of the Hold.)


Q: Who do I contact to request a Tutoring Support letter required by my Cultural Office?

A: Students must contact the professor of the course for which tutoring is requested to request a letter verifying the necessity of a private off-campus tutor. This letter should be sent to the ECS International Advisor and must include: a) the course number and academic semester b) the reason why the student must seek a private off-campus tutor c) the name or signature of the professor. *A letter will not be issued to the Cultural Office if tutoring for the designated course is available through a College or campus tutoring center.


Q: Where can I find information about internship and job opportunities for international students?

A: You may attend an ECS Career Workshop for International Students, visit the campus Career Center, or contact the ECS Career Specialist.


Q: How can I learn more about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorizations?

A: You may read about CPT and OPT requirements on the ISS website as well as attend an ISS Workshop in person/virtually.


Q: Where may I find information about events and activities for ECS International Students?

A: ECS international students receive a monthly “ECS International Student Newsletter” highlighting special events, activities, scholarships, and relevant opportunities; students are placed on a College listserv to receive updates related to international students; ECS students receive general email and Portal announcements from the College and/or University.

ECS Academic Internships


To hold an off-campus internship, international students are required to enroll in the 3-unit academic course, Professional Practice (EGGN 495) to maintain their visa status.


To identify internship opportunities, students may explore the Career Center, meet with the ECS Career Specialist, and/or attend Fall and Spring semester Career Fairs.


After landing an internship and receiving an offer letter from the company, students must submit an ECS application and receive approval to enroll in EGGN 495.


The application requires submission of the following three (3) items:

  1. Copy of the internship Offer Letter
  2. Unofficial Transcripts and
  3. Center for Internship and Community Engagement (CICE) Approval Form.


The application should be submitted to by the semester deadline.


Additional information on the academic internship application can be found at the  at the ACADEMIC INTERNSHIP information page.



International students must also submit a CPT Request Form to the ISS Office after successfully enrolling in EGGN 495.