Graduate Admissions

graduate admission banner


* For international graduate admissions, these requirements must be met as well as the requirements found below.

In order to meet the  minimum requirements  for admission, you must have completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended, and have attained a minimum/cumulative grade point average of 2.50 (4 point system) from your coursework.

Additional GPA Requirement for the ECS Graduate Programs

Minimum Standards Explanation

Minimum GPA of 3.0

If you graduated from a U.S. institution with undergraduate degrees other than engineering or computer science.   International applicants -if you graduated with undergraduate degrees from non-ABET accredited international institutions.

Minimum GPA of 2.5

If you graduated from a U.S./international institution with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science.   International applicants   - if you graduated from ABET accredited international institution with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science.

 (ABET accreditations will be verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office)

* You are considered under the international admission requirements if you have received your degree outside the U.S. – regardless of your visa status or if you are currently living in the U.S.


Official transcript is required from each university or college you have attended since high school. A transcript for all community college coursework is required even if the transfer credit is reflected on another transcript. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, your transcript must include documentation that you have received the bachelor's degree. If you are currently in the last year of your undergraduate program, your application can be evaluated with only one semester of grades missing. For example, if you are applying for Fall 2020 but will not receive your bachelor's degree until Spring 2020, your transcript must show grades through Fall 2019. You need to wait to send in your transcript until your fall semester grades have been posted otherwise your file is incomplete.


If you have received your degree outside the U.S. then you are required to present the results of an acceptable English test assessment such as the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. You must submit TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores even if you are a US citizen or have been living and working in the United States for many years since you received your degree. The CSUF policy is based on where you attended school, not your citizenship or how long you have been in the United States.

Minimum test scores to be admissible for our graduate programs

Test Type Minimum Scores


Internet 80/Paper 550





The English test assessment requirement can be waived if you have completed at least 72 college semester units at a majority English-speaking country (U.S., UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and Australia) or graduated from a U.S. institution. You have two options to submit your test score:

  1. You can have your test score sent by the testing service to CSU Fullerton (the school code is 4589).

  2. Submit an official scorecard along with your supporting documents to ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office.


The following items are   NOT   required for admission so PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT.

  • Personal Statements
  • Letter of recommendations
  • High School Transcript
  • Certificates of Accomplishments / Trainings
  • Resumes / Work Experience
  • GRE or GMAT Scores

how to apply

You must submit an online application and pay the $70 application processing fee at Cal State Apply. An application fee waiver is not available.

admission deadlines

An online application and all supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, marksheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/ IETLS /PTE sores) must be received by the ECS Graduate and International Admissions Office by the date below:

Spring 2021 Admission Opens August 1, 2020

Open Majors:
1. Civil Engineering
2. Computer Engineering 
3. Computer Science
4. Electrical Engineering
5. Environmental Engineering (online)- I-20/OPT not issued for this online program
6. Mechanical Engineering

* Applicants applying to the Accelerated MS in Software Engineering , please direct your admission questions and concerns to . The ECS Admissions office does not process AMSE applications.

Application Deadline: 
November 4, 2020

Required Documents Deadline:

November 18, 2020

Fall 2021 Admission Opens for
International & Domestic Applicants Starting October 1, 2020

Open Majors: 

  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Engineering Management
  • Environmental Engineering (online)

*I-20/OPT not issued for this online program

  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Software Engineering (online)-See below for deadline dates

*I-20/OPT not issued for this online program

Application Deadline: 

  • INTERNATIONAL students April 1, 2021
  • DOMESTIC students ONLY July 01, 2021

Required Documents Deadline:


 Software Engineering (Online) Deadlines:

Application Deadline: July 1, 2021

Required Documents Deadline: July 17, 2021

Accept and pay Deposit Fee: August 8, 2021


Spring/Fall 2021 - Computer Science Applicant

*IMPORTANT- This applies to Computer Science applicants only: The Master of Science in Computer Science is a popular program. Due to the program's popularity and its capacity, graduate applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and complete their application early. The application will be complete only when we receive all of your supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, mark sheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores). 



After submitting your application online, please submit all of your supporting documents (official transcripts from all institutions attended, marksheets, degree certificate, and official TOEFL/ IETLS /PTE sores) to the following address:

ECS Admissions 
College of Engineering and Computer Science 
California State University, Fullerton 
P.O. Box 6870 
Fullerton, CA 92834-6870

*NOTE: Submitting your documents to Admissions & Records or other departments at the university may delay your application process. It is highly advisable to submit your supporting documents directly to the ECS Graduate & International Admissions Office so that your application is properly process in a timely manner.

Early application and supporting documents submission is strongly advised, due to strong demand for programs.

application status

If you wish to check on the status of your application to our graduate program, please e-mail our admission office at . Your email  must   include your first and last name, CWID (Campus Wide ID#), and the name of program that you have applied to.

newly graduate admitted students

All graduate students who intend to enroll at CSU Fullerton must accept their offer of admission and pay a non-refundable $250 enrollment deposit. The deposit will offset a portion of your Registration Fees for the first semester. You must accept admission and pay your enrollment deposit through your Student Portal.

 Deposit Fee Deadlines

Semester Deposit Deadline
Spring 2021

Applicants can begin to accept and pay deposit fee beginning August 15, 2020 through December 19, 2020 (deadline).

Fall 2021 Applicants can begin to accept and pay deposit fee beginning February 20, 2021 through July 01, 2021 (last day).

If you are admitted after July 1, you have two weeks from the date you were admitted to accept your offer of admissions.   International Students: Your I-20 will not be released until you accept your admission.

*** The July 1 deadline does not apply to you if you are admitted under the Environmental Engineering online MS program or the Software Engineering online MS program; these programs do not have a deadline.

The orientation TBD. An email will be sent to newly admitted students with more information. 

International Graduate Admissions

graduate admission banner 2


* International students must meet above requirements including the ones listed here.

*You are not eligible to apply to a graduate program if you have already earned a Master's Degree in the same program. See FAQS (below) for more info.

If you hold a European 3 year degree bachelor’s degree, you would need to submit a diploma supplement in order to have their application reviewed or provide a credential evaluation indicating US equivalency of a 4 year degree.

Please visit the   Bologna Process   website to obtain a diploma supplement. The Bologna Process is the commitment by 47 countries, all party to the   European Cultural Convention, to reform their higher education systems in order to create convergence at the European level.

More Information:

  • European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) make teaching and learning in higher education more transparent across Europe and facilitates the recognition of all studies.
  • The Diploma Supplement is an admission requirement. It promotes transparency in higher education and fair and informed judgments about qualifications. It also accommodates rapid changes in qualifications. The purpose of the supplement is to provide sufficient independent data to improve the international ‘transparency’ and fair academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certificates etc.) or provide a credential evaluation indicating US equivalency of a 4 year degree (

student visas

International applicants who are admitted to CSUF will be issued form I-20, which is used to obtain an F-1 student visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas. Students transferring from another U.S. institution will use their CSUF admit letter to request the release of their SEVIS record at their I-20-approved school. Once their record is released, the new CSUF I-20 will be issued. An I-20 cannot be issued if you have not submitted your   International Student Financial Statement and Affidavit PDF File and other appropriate financial documents.

An I-20 cannot be issued for the Software Engineering or Environmental Engineering online programs. Immigration policy (not CSUF policy) prohibits student visas for entirely online programs. If you are already in the US and need to transfer your I-20 to CSUF, you cannot do so for the Software Engineering program, only the   Accelerated M.S. in Software Engineering. You can be a student in the Software Engineering program from your home country.

The office of International Student Services will send out your I-20 via regular postal mail to the address listed on your application. Please email   if you:

  1. Wish to pay for express mail service
  2. Listed a US address on your application but are not living in the US and need a new I-20
  3. Want a friend or family member to pick up your I-20 instead of it being mailed

health insurance requirement

Effective August 1, 1995, as a condition of receiving an I-20 or IAP-66 form, all F-1 and J-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain health insurance as a condition of registration and continued enrollment in the California State University. Such insurance must be in amounts as specified by the United States Information Agency (USIA) and NAFSA: Association of International Educators. The campus president or designee shall determine which insurance policies meet these criteria. Further information may be obtained from the Office of International Student Services at   .

financial documents

International applicants who need a new or transfer I-20 must submit the following:

  • An   International Student Financial Statement and AffidavitPDF File accompanied by a bank statement and a copy of your passport.
  • Students sponsored by an international organization or home government agency must include a letter of scholarship support specifying CSUF and your proposed degree and program of study
  • You cannot be issued an I-20 until you are admitted to CSUF and have submitted the required financial documents.

If you have questions about the financial documents, please contact the Office of International Admissions at or (657) 278-3100.


  • Visit the Student Business Services page for fee information.
  • The link to “Fee Info” along the top will give you information on Registration Fees (required for all students)
  • Non-Resident Tuition (required for students who are not legal residents of California for residency purposes)
  • Required Course Fees (Distance Learning Fee required for the MSE program)
  • Students on an F-1 visa   must   pay Non-Resident Tuition every semester
  • The MSE program is 6 units per semester; all other graduate programs can be taken on a part-time or full-time basis.

Scholarships available to students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science can be found at   . ECS has a limited number of Non-Resident Tuition waivers available to entering master's students. All international applications will be reviewed for a Non-Resident Fee Waiver; additional paperwork is not required. International students are not eligible for federal loans or grants.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I Attend Part Time?  
Yes! Many of our graduate courses are offered in the evening to accommodate working professionals. The   Software Engineering   and   Environmental Engineering   programs are offered entirely online and therefore fit anyone’s schedule. International students must maintain their full-time student status.

2. How Long Does It Take To Receive My Master's Degree?  
All of the master's programs require 30 units to receive your degree. There are many factors that affect how long it will take to receive your degree; the most important factors are how many courses you plan to take per semester and if you have any deficiency (prerequisite) courses to complete before beginning the required 30 units. The one exception is the Software Engineering program; the program consists of two courses per semester for five semesters (22 months).

3. Am I eligible to apply to a graduate program if I have earned a Master's Degree in the same program I intend to apply to?  
No. If you have already earned a Master's Degree in a particular field you ARE NOT ELIGIBLE to apply to the same program within CSUF's College of Engineering and Computer Science (Example: if you have an M.S. in Computer Engineering you MAY NOT apply to the CSUF gradaute Computer Engineering program).

4. Can I be Admitted if I don't Have a Bachelor's Degree in the Same Major?  
Yes! You can still be admitted if you do not have an academic background in the field you are applying for. You will be assigned deficiency (prerequisite) courses by an advisor in the department. You can take these courses as a master's student at CSUF before beginning the 30 units required for the master's degree. A resume is required to assess your work experience if you are applying to Software Engineering; please send your resume to   once you have submitted your application to Software Engineering.

5. Can I Transfer Courses I took at Another University Into the Master's Program?  
You can request to apply a limited number of transfer courses towards unit requirements for a master's degree. The maximum number of units that can be transferred to a master's program is nine (9).

6. Can I Take a Class Without Being Admitted to a Master's Program?  
Yes! Anyone can enroll in undergraduate and graduate-level classes through Open University. Registration is provided on a space available basis. If a course has prerequisites you must have met the prerequisites in order to be eligible to enroll. If you decide to apply for a master's program at CSUF you may be able to transfer courses taken through Open University. Visit   Open University   for more information.

additional resources

More information about graduate admissions and graduate studies can be found at  Admissions and Records   and  Graduate Studies.   International applicants can visit the  International Studies & Scholars Office   website for more information.

questions and concerns

Contact Graduate and International Admissions for the College of Engineering and Computer Science at   or (657) 278-7786. You may also visit our office in CS 311 ( campus map ).