Security & Tips
Top four things that you can do to protect your computer
Install security software and keep it up-to-date
Installing security software and keeping it up-to-date is the most important thing that you can do to keep your computer safe from potential security threats. Security software protects your computer against viruses and spyware.
Maintain current software and updates
Keep your software updated and apply the latest service packs and patches. Windows and Mac allow you to schedule automatic updates. Please visit Student Genius Corner to get help in updating your laptops.
Avoid Threats to your computers:
Here are some practices that you should follow to avoid threats to your computer
- Never share passwords and passphrases
- Do not click random links
- Beware of email or attachment from unknown people
- Do not download unfamiliar software
- Do not propagate virus hoaxes or chain mail
- Log out of or lock your computer when stepping away, even for a moment
- Remove unnecessary programs or services from your computer
- Frequently back up important documents and files
- Treat sensitive data very carefully
- Remove data securely
If your hard drive is physically damaged, you can contact Kroll Ontrack and ask for Data Recovery service. You can visit http://www.krollontrack.com or call (800) 872-2599.
Laptop Security Software
CSUF Information Technology is providing FrontDoorSoftware Loss, Recovery and Personal Safety, a program that allows you to remotely lock, alarm, and track your laptop/smartphone/tablet in case of theft. It uses GPS tracking that only you can access. You can find more details about the features and security on their website.