Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding Major, B.S. -- Judith Avila-Avalos
- Outstanding Major, B.A. -- Rebekah King
Awarded to an upper-division major who demonstrates high quality performance in classes, in their undergraduate research project, and in some type of service to the department, University, or community.
- Outstanding Academic Achievement, B.S. -- Jamie Hayward
- Outstanding Academic Achievement, B.A. -- Kate Gibson
Awarded to a junior or senior major with an exceptional C.S.U.F. G.P.A. The number of units completed in Geology and the related fields will be factored into the decision.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award in Geology -- Cullen Scheland
Awarded to a Geology graduate student who demonstrates excellent performance in classes and in their research as evidenced by, but not limited to, publications, presentations, collegiality, and/or leadership in the department.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Associate in Geology -- Joseph Gutierrez
Awarded to Geology graduate student teaching associate (T.A.) who demonstrates outstanding performance based on, but not limited to, Student Opinion Questionnaires, in-class visitations by faculty, teaching, collegiality, and/or mentoring other teaching associates.
- Candice L. Jones Outstanding Service -- Melonie Nguyen
Given to the student who has made a significant contribution to the mission, operation and/or well being of the Department community. Examples of service include, but are not limited to, taking a leadership role in Geology Club activities; serving as a T.A., tutor, or volunteer in GEOL classes; selflessly assisting others in meeting their educational, research or outreach objectives. Efforts above and beyond any employment or course credit obligations are given greater weight, and a positive attitude is required.
- John D. Cooper Field Camp -- Josh Vanderwal
Awarded to a declared Geological Sciences Major with outstanding performance in GEOL 481A-Geology Field Camp. Selected by field camp instructor with approval of all full-time geology faculty.
- John D. Cooper Field Camp Scholarship -- Alejandra Angulo
Awarded to a student who shows financial need, outstanding academic achievement (2.5 G.P.A. or better for the previous academic year), and capacity to excel at field camp. Recipient to be selected by faculty of the Department of Geological Sciences.
- Marilyn A. Brown Scholarship -- Ross Kovtun
Awarded to a graduate student conducting research in the general areas of paleontology or stratigraphy, and having an expressed or demonstrated interest in teaching or educational outreach.
- Dr. Margaret Skillman Woyski Scholarship -- Christian ConchaOpen to declared geology major with 2.5 G.P.A. or better for the previous academic year. Awarded annually to a student who shows financial need and outstanding academic achievement. Service to the department or the university is also required, i.e., involvement in the geology club, tutoring or participation in faculty directed research. The award will be made on the recommendation of the entire full-time faculty of the department.
- Prem K. Saint Hydrology -- Diana ChaconAward for Geological Sciences or Environmental Studies (with Environmental Sciences emphasis) major with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better for the previous academic year. Recipient must show an outstanding academic performance in course work and/or research in Hydrology, Hydrogeology or Water Quality. Award based on the recommendation of the geology full-time faculty.
- Department of Geological Sciences Field Camp Scholarship -- Eddie ReyesOpen to declared geology and earth science majors that will be enrolled in GEOL 481A - Field Camp, in the upcoming summer. Awarded to a student who shows financial need, outstanding academic achievement (2.5 G.P.A. or better for the previous academic year), and quality of written statements. This scholarship is given through the generosity of the alumni and friends of the department. Recipient to be selected by faculty of the department.
- David L. Willoughby Scholarship -- Lindsey Langer and Radwan MuthalaAwarded to undergraduate students who are studying geology or paleontology, or who are participating in course-related fieldwork. Minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher in geological sciences.
- Searchers Gem and Mineral Society Award -- Madison HuscherEstablished by The Searchers Gem and Mineral Society and awarded to an undergraduate or graduate student who has demonstrated an interest in mineralogy, petrology or science education, with 2.5 or better G.P.A. during the previous academic year, and the recommendation of the faculty.