Frequently Asked Questions

How much does the program cost?

Visit the Student Financial Services Opens in new window page for fee information. The link to "Fee Information" on the left will give you information on Registration Fees ( required for all students), Non-Resident Tuition (required for students who are not legal residents of California for residency purposes), and Required Course Fees (Distance Learning Fee required for the MSE program). Information about residency is available here. MSE students take 6 units of graduate level courses per semester.

I've already applied to the graduate program in Computer Science and now I cannot apply to the graduate program in Software Engineering. What can I do?

If you are a current student already enrolled in the Computer Science program, you will need to file a "Change of Objective Form" from LH114. If you recently applied and have not yet started taking classes, contact the Admissions Coordinator at Be sure to include your full name and CWID in all communication.

Can I receive a student visa once I am admitted to the MSE program?

Unfortunately, no. An I-20 cannot be issued for the Software Engineering master's program, since it is offered entirely online. Immigration policy(not CSUF policy) prohibits student visas for entirely online programs. If you are already in the US and need to transfer your I-20to CSUF, you cannot do so for the Software Engineering program. You can be a student in the Software Engineering program from your home country.

Where can I find information about course textbooks?

Please see the instructor's course syllabus, which contains both the title and ISBN number for every book used in a course. Textbook information should also be posted with the course schedule.

What kind of assignments are given?

This will depend on the course and instructor.

How are tests administered?

Again, this will be determined by the instructor.

What is Titan?

Titan is the name of the departmental server that runs the MSE and ECS websites and other software.

What amount of work experience is equivalent to CPSC 362?

One year of experience in any part of the software lifecycle is sufficient. A resume is required when you apply in order to determine if you have the equivalent of CPSC 362. Once you have submitted your online application please email your resume to

Will there be an exit exam?

No, there is not an exit exam. Students are required to complete a significant terminal project as part of the curriculum. There is no thesis option.

What happens if you are unable to attend a semester?

Please contact the MSE Program Coordinator. This situation will be handled on a case by case basis.