Frequently Asked Questions



Can I go to college if I'm undocumented?

Yes! Undocumented students can go to any college or university in California, as long as you meet the requirements and are admitted/accepted.

When should I apply?

Please refer to the Office of Admissions and RecordsOpens in new window .

How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

Please refer to the AB 540/AB 2000 Non-Residency QuestionnairePDF File Opens in new window .

How do I submit the AB 540 affidavit?

To submit your AB540, please follow this link to access the Adobe Sign Form  AB540 FormOpens in new window .

Is the AB 540 information I provide confidential?

Yes! Your privacy is important, and the information you provide is confidential. The records you disclose in your DREAM application and Affidavit are for University purposes only. Please refer to the  Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)   to learn more about your rights to privacy, which includes your name, address, phone number, and migratory status.


Who is eligible for statewide COVID-10 relief?

The state of California has a program for immigrants impacted by COVID-19 in the state of California.
Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants.

 Will my financial aid stop as an undocumented student given recent national statements?

No. In state tuition and the CA Dream Act are processed and run through the California Student Aid Commission so federal policy does not impact these programs.

Is there any type of aid to help me pay for school if I am an AB 540 student?

Yes; AB 540 students may receive some type of aid for school. State grants may be provided after you submit your Dream Application through the California Student Aid Commission. State University Grants (SUG) may also be available for AB 540 students, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Other university/community college aid (such as the Equal Opportunity Program (EOP), Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS), and Board of Governors Fee Waiver) is also accessible. Additionally, students can apply for scholarships to further the aid.

Should all undocumented students fill out the CA Dream Act Application?

Yes! It is recommended that you fill out the CA Dream Act if you are approved for in state tuition through the AB 540 affidavit. If you are a graduate student, you may still be eligible for the State University Grant.


What are my legal options?

Thanks to a collaboration between the CSU Chancellors office and the CA Department of Social Services Direct Immigration Legal. Services are available free of charge to CSU Students and employees. Attorneys and Paralegals are available to assist renewals and general assistance in filling out the forms such as family- based petitions. This project aims to serve undocumented students, students with immigration questions, staff and faculty. To make an appointment with an Attorney please follow the link below.
Make an Appointment with CARECEN

What are the differences between the California DREAM Act and the Federal DREAM Act?

The California DREAM Act occurs at the state level. The passage of AB 130 and AB 131 by Governor Jerry Brown made the California DREAM Act of 2011 an effective law in the state. It allows certain undocumented students to receive state financial aid and scholarships funded through private donors.

For more information, please visit the CA Dream Act Website.

Can I still renew my DACA?

Please consult with an immigration attorney about this process.
Make an Appointment with CARECEN

Can I still meet with an immigration lawyer?

Yes, the CARECEN legal team is available year round. Make an appointment using the link below.
Make an Appointment with CARECEN

Mental Health

Can I still talk to CAPS?

Yes. Counseling and Psychological Services is available 24/7 by calling (657) 278-3040. If interested in making an initial or ongoing appointment, please call Monday-Friday, 9:00a-1:00p. For more information please visit, the CAPS website.

If I feel overwhelmed, what do I do?

It is understandable to feel overwhelmed.  This situation is creating uncertainty related to many aspects of our lives.  It is possible to find some grounding and strength amidst this too. When feeling overwhelmed it can help to do some of the following:

  • Take a deep breath in and a longer breath out, splash cold water on your face, ground yourself with your senses
  • Tend to your physical needs, including getting enough rest and nutrition
  • Connect to your support system – family, friends, allies, colleagues, acquaintances
  • Create and follow a daily routine as this can help us feel grounded
  • Engage in various forms of self-care which can include: exercise, hobbies, creative projects, contemplative practice/prayer/meditation
  • Give yourself permission to feel and acknowledge your emotions
  • Ask for help if needed

Paced Breathing
UCLA Health - Mindful Awareness Research Center
Les Mills - At Home Workouts
Down Dog App
Nike Training Club

How do I support my undocumented family and friends?

Stay connected – a hello or check in can be powerful

  • Offer consistent emotional support – no need to solve problems, listening and validation is powerful
  • Stay aware of what’s happening in the news and as it impacts the community, sign up for newsletters or follow relevant social media
  • Use your voice and engage in forms of activism that align with your values – sign petitions, call elected officials   
  • Practice mind/body/spirit self-care as well, as you can also be impacted by the stressors of those you care for

United We Dream - Mental Health Toolkit